I may have an addiction...

If you were to ask my family, they would immediately agree that I have a Disney addiction. No, I don't spend my entire paycheck on merchandise every time I go to Disneyland. In fact, I rarely buy anything except an occasional item once or twice during the year. If I had endless amounts of surplus income, then I think I would spend quite a bit at my favorite Disney Park. But since that's not the case...

No, my addiction is to podcasts. Ya, podcasts. Let me give you a little bit of back story before I proceed. In 2008, I was given an ipod Touch which I gleefully loaded up with my entire Beatles music collection in preparation for my trip to England. I downloaded a couple of TV episodes of Ghost Hunters and a Looney Tunes cartoon to boot. I thoroughly enjoyed using my ipod Touch on the plane but once my trip was over and I was back home in my daily routine of work, watch some TV, eat, sleep, wake up, work, watch some TV....you get the picture. To put it bluntly, the ipod Touch went into a drawer and I completely forgot about it.

Now fast forward to September 2009. My friends were visiting from Florida and we went to the D23 Expo. (Oh, OK, so I did spend some money to go to the Expo, LOL!) So anyway, my friends started telling me about some Disney related news and I interrupted them to ask "How do you guys find this stuff out?"

Their reply: PODCASTS. I said, "pod what??" And that's when I was introduced to the world of free podcasts. Once the D23 Expo was over and I was back home, I logged on to iTunes and did a search for Disneyland podcasts and was amazed at what I found. I poked around until I found one that dealt strictly with Disneyland and downloaded a few podcasts figuring that I could listen to them at work during lunch.

I listened, I learned and I wanted more. So a few days later I decided to poke around and much to my surprise I was blown away by the world of podcasts. I became addicted. Yes, addicted. I have downloaded sooooo many that I sometimes wonder if I'll ever be able to listen to all of them but you better believe I'm going to try!

So, the point of this post is to introduce you to podcasts that I really dig. My ipod Touch enables me to view video podcasts but I will break up my list of suggestions into two categories: Video and audio because most of my friends and family don't have an iTouch. (Silly me, I'm actually assuming that my friends and family read my blog!) So here we go...it's a varied list and I hope there is something there you might want to try.

VIDEO
  1. The Official Disneyland Resort Podcasts: They post on the average of once a month
  2. 30 Odd Minutes: This is a superb podcast dealing with the paranormal. These guys are great and I love them because they discuss an unusual subject with both intelligence and humor.
  3. Beautiful Places in HD: Short, 4 to 8 minute videos of beautiful places to visit!
  4. The Coolest Stuff on the Planet: Again, 3 to 5 minute visits to wonderful and unique places on Earth.

I usually watch the video podcasts at home on the weekends. I keep my favorites because I plan to put them on my iTouch when I fly somewhere.

AUDIO

  1. Paranormal Podcast: Intelligent interviews and discussions with experts, authors and skeptics. I tried out a couple and then downloaded ALL of the podcasts. I'm currently about one third of the way through!
  2. Stuff You Missed in History Class: Short 14 to 25 minute podcasts about an assortment of historical people and places.
  3. The Ghost Chronicles: A "down home" podcast by to paranormal investigators back East. Very interesting and informative.
  4. Hollow Hill Podcast: Another paranormal investigator tells it like it is. Interesting and informative.
  5. This American Life: True stories about real people. Try it!
  6. 60 Minutes: Audio version of the show and quite good. Especially when I'm out walking.
  7. Stuff Mom Never Told You: The title says it all!
  8. How Stuff Works: I happen to be one of those people that is fascinated by how things work, so this is right up my alley.

Well, that's my list. The great thing is that they are all FREE!!! The bad thing is that there aren't enough hours in my day to listen to everything so until I can find a way to clone myself and send my double to the office, I'll continue listening during my lunch hour and daily walks. Check them out and tell me what you think!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MLB Food Fest

Upside down Christmas Trees?