Marmalade, Monrovia and DCA

Marmalade, Monrovia and DCA...what could those three things possibly have in common. Nothing really, except that we did them all in one day. I shall explain, Grasshopper.

First of all, I few weeks ago, I watched an old episode of California's Gold and learned about a family run operation that makes marmalades, jams and jellies. It is called E. Waldo War & Son and their claim to fame is that they've made these delectable delights for over a century and they offered tours so you could see how it was done. It sounded interesting to me so I looked them up online and then convinced my roommate that we needed to check it out, LOL.

I put their info into my GPS and off we went. When we arrived, we were a bit confused since we ended up in a residential area and could find no sign in sight indicating that we were at the right place. We saw a couple of gentlemen and asked them if they knew anything about it and they told us to walk up the driveway towards the back of the property so we did! As you can see, there was a charming building that turned out to be the gift shop.



We went inside and purchased tons of marmalades, jams and jellies. So many flavors to pick from!!! Unfortunately, they only offer tours on Saturdays so if you want to check them out, I suggest you call them ahead of time just to be sure you don't make the drive for nothing. I have to admit, I was a bit ticked that their website made no mention of the "Saturday only" policy and I emailed them the next day to suggest that they have their webmaster update the website. They graciously apologized and gave me a discount on a future order. Nice!!

As we were leaving, I took pictures of the main house which is still the family residence! Beautiful, isn't it?




Since our visit at Waldo Ward & Son took all of 30 minutes, I pulled out my phone and used a couple of different apps to find something of interest close by. We decided to go to Monrovia and go through the old part of town. Since I had been there previously, I knew my roommate would enjoy it. We walked up and down the streets, admiring the quaint shops and fantastic old buildings and then picked a spot for lunch. Planet Cookies is a bakery and sandwich shop as well as a baker's supply store! While I was waiting to order my sandwich, I noticed these really cool "pizza" cookies.


YUM! My roast beef sandwich was great and big enough to share - which we did!


After lunch we continued walking around and ended up at Library Park where Linda decided to sit down and read with Mark Twain, LOL.


As we continued our walk, we spotted a couple of bears...



After such a nice day, we didn't want to go home so we crept to Downtown Disney. I say crept because it was the traffic "hour" and it took about an hour and a half to get there. Once there we headed straight for World of Disney to see if there was anything new and exciting. Guess what? There was!

This shirt has the old versions of Minnie, Big Bad Wolf, Goofy, Mickey and Pluto. SO COOL!!


This vintage looking shirt is inspired by the Tiki Room.


Cute ice cream shirt!


And finally, this one made me bust up out loud!!!


Another adventure coming soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside down Christmas Trees?

MLB Food Fest