Exploring Spots on Route 66 Part 1

Even though I was born and raised in California, I learn more about it every time my friends from Florida come to visit! I spent a couple of nights with them out in Desert Hot Springs and we did some sightseeing. Y'all know I love historical places of interest so I was as happy as a bug in a rug!

Our first stop was in Barstow. We went to see what was once a grand bed and breakfast known as a Harvey House.  However, upon arrival, we discovered a Route 66 museum so we popped in there first.


This building has undergone extensive restoration and the work continues. It made me happy to see that somebody cared enough to save the building.


A mix of old and new.




The museum is staffed by volunteers and the proceeds from the merchandise sold goes entirely to the museum.


I was surprised at how much there was to see. Luckily, we weren't in a rush!




I couldn't resist a photo op!


There were several cool cars to examine...



Would you believe I once worked a switchboard like this?


I noticed a lot of Cars items tucked here and there...I'll bet the movie has done a lot to spur interest in Route 66.

Comments

Debbie V. said…
When I was young and my family went traveling on Route 66 to Illinois during the summer we always left La Mirada at night so that my dad could get through the desert in the dark. It could be over 100 degrees at midnight. Victorville, Barstow, Daggett...all I remember were just gas stations lit up.
Looks like there's some neat stuff in there!

Popular posts from this blog

MLB Food Fest

Upside down Christmas Trees?