Road Trip Bonanza Part 6

Can you believe it? I've milked this trip into 6 posts, LOL!

Monday, February 27, 2012
I got up to find Cuddles exploring the apartment.


8:09 a.m.
Starbucks
Yes, I needed some coffee. So Debby and I popped into the local Starbucks which was just down the street from her apartment. Lucky girl, she is! We both realized that we were pretty darn hungry so we got in her car and I pulled out my iPhone to find someplace to eat. Since she didn't have a preference, I searched for a diner. We found one that sounded interesting so off we went!

8:34 a.m.
As soon as we drove by, I knew it was going to be good. We parked behind the diner then went inside to get a table. I soon found out that a lot of locals go there - the waitresses were addressing customers by name. As we were waiting for our order, I looked around enjoying the view of the old buildings.


My breakfast arrived. It looked wonderful. As I started eating, I realized that it was PERFECT. Literally. Everything was cook perfectly. I enjoyed this meal emensely. If I lived in Iowa City, I would be going to the Bluebird Diner at least once a week. While we ate, we decided that we were going to do some thrift shop hunting. But first, we had to run back home to meet up with the cable installer so Debby could get her Internet connection going - always a very important thing!


On the way back to Debby's, I spotted that super spectacular fantastical cool building again.


10:26 a.m.
This turned out to be a great thrift store!! And you know what made it even better? The proceeds go to help those in need. I love that. I found several items including this cookbook from 1940 for the grand sum of $1.00!!


And check this out - they sell some pretty nice items online, too.


11:52 a.m.
After thoroughly going through every square inch of that store, we decided to explore a bit on our way home. We took several very cool side streets and ended up at a nature trail and campground.




Debby had a few errands to run before taking me to the airport so we got that out of the way and by that time, I was hungry again. Go figure, LOL.

2:17 p.m.
Wendy's
I wolfed down a salad and we took off for the airport. I was nervous because we were cutting it so close to my take off time but the airport was empty so I basically just walked right in, checked in and that was it. My flight took off without a hitch and while I was on my way to Houston, TX, I saw this in a magazine and started laughing. I had to take a picture of it!


And then...something else in the magazine caught my eye. Yes, the silliest things amuse me!


Once my plane landed in Houston, I was sooo surprised to see that we actually taxied over a major highway!!



As we were leaving the plane, we were informed that there was a gate change for my connecting flight to Ontario. Oh oh...I better make sure I can find it. Luckily, I had a two and a half hour layover so I didn't have to rush. Good thing because I had to go through hoops to find my new gate. Once that was done, I realized I needed to charge my phone so I found an electrical outlet near a bar and sat down to people watch!

7:27 p.m.
Center Bar
Gate C43, Terminal C
Very important, always have your charger with you!


11:02 p.m.
Ontario Airport, CA
After a long day, I was looking forward to seeing my son so I rushed down to the baggage claim area and waited and waited and waited and waited.... I called my son who was outside in his truck and told him that I was looking for my luggage. Guess what? It wasn't there. I had to go put in a claim for lost luggage and you can be sure, I was not happy. They located my bag in Houston!!! WTF?? Ya, it never made it on to my connecting flight. I was told that it would arrive in Ontario the following day.

"Oh really? And it will be delivered to me, right? Because I am NOT coming back to this airport to pick up my bag!"

My bag did eventually make it home - it was delivered to me at approximately 11:30 a.m. the following day. Yay!


It's for that very reason that I try to never, ever, EVER fly anything other than nonstop but sometimes, it's unavoidable. Oh well, the good news is that I made it home OK, my bag made it home OK and I have come to the end of the road trip recap. Go out and celebrate!

Comments

Marty said…
I enjoyed traveling with you through your journey. Thanks for sharing!♥

Popular posts from this blog

Upside down Christmas Trees?

MLB Food Fest