I went back in time.

Literally. Let me explain... About two months ago, some friends and I were driving around on Euclid, near Disneyland. All of a sudden I spotted an older building with a huge sign that said Chicken Pie Shop. I immediately proclaimed that I would have to eat there someday. Well, that someday was today (or yesterday because this is getting posted tomorrow. Whatever...)


It was with great anticipation that I arrived, eager to have some chicken pot pie. I love the stuff and never get tired of it. And I figured that this place fell into the category of "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" so I parked my car and merrily skipped towards the entrance. OK, I didn't skip but I felt like it.

When I walked in, the first thing I saw was the bakery with two refrigerated cases filled with an assortment of cakes and pies. Then, I walked into the dining room. I felt like I had gone back in time...It was now 1966, I swear!

I was the ONLY customer.  I had to wait a few minutes for someone to come over and take my order but I didn't mind because I was mesmerized by the decor. Literally, the last time this place was decorated was 1966-ish. I know because I've been around long enough to recognize original 60's stuff.

OK....the waitress took my order: Chicken pot pie and it comes with mashed potatoes, a roll and coleslaw or salad. Oh, and an iced tea.  The food arrived very quickly - I was surprised. At first glance, I thought that the portions were rather small but then I remembered that I was back in 1966 and the portion size was perfect.


The food was.....alright. Mind you, growing up with traditional home-made Mexican food, I love spices. I'm not talking hot stuff, I'm talking flavor. (Although I do love hot stuff!) This was very bland. So much so that I had to add salt and pepper and I NEVER add anything to my food when I eat out.

The service was great. The waitress kept coming over and checking on me. I told her that I had discovered the restaurant a couple of months ago while I was driving by. She told me that they have been there since 1955. That confirmed that they probably updated the decor in the 60's and never did again, LOL.

Even though the food wasn't spectacular, I would recommend that you give them a visit and take a trip back in time like I did. Not sure how late they are open but you could go for dessert if you leave Disneyland early.

La Palma Chicken Pie Shop Restaurant and Bakery
928 North Euclid Avenue
Anaheim, CA
714-533-2021

UPDATE:  I found out that this restaurant has closed. The owner passed away in 2016.

Comments

JG said…
Ha, that looks good.

There is a Chicken Pie Shop in Fresno. My wife and I used to eat there before we married, a long long time ago.

It is still open and it still has the 1960 decor. Looks like Don Draper might come in anytime.

We still make chicken fat fried potatoes occasionally in memory of times long ago and far away.

Good to see you having a good time with DaveLand.

I hope things are well with you. You are in my thoughts often.

Best regards.

JG
TokyoMagic! said…
Connie, OMG..there have been many times that I have driven past that restaurant and thought that I should stop and go inside, but I never had my camera with me and it's been one of those things "on my list" to do. That, and the old dusty and faded drapery in the windows might have been keeping me from stopping too. Was that drapery still there?
Connie Moreno said…
Tokyo, YES the drapes were still there. I kept staring at them while I was chewing my food...in a cow-like zen mode, LOL!!!

I noticed several thrift shops near the restaurant. Let's have a blogger meet & greet! We should meet up and do some shopping and then eating!
TokyoMagic! said…
A meet and greet sounds good sometime. We could also meet at DL and then head over for some pot pie afterward! Not that I don't like thrift shops!
I do love a good chicken pot pie!

I always drive past funky places like this - NEVER go in, which is something that has to change. I can think of several oddball restaurants in the Pasadena/Burbank area that I've always wanted to check out.

Popular posts from this blog

MLB Food Fest

Upside down Christmas Trees?